Sunday, October 30, 2016

Haliburton - Documenting Memory Series 2013




I’m inspired by history, specifically by stories of the past and how we remember them.  I believe that our memories play an important role in how we live our lives in the present.  I’m curious about what memory is, what we do with it, how it affects us and how we respond to it.



I explore how we respond to memories by experimenting with drawing and painting media in combination with paper, photos, aluminum foil, burlap, wallpaper and upholstery fabric, all materials that have their own strong textures and physical memories. 



I observe and document how the memories of these materials respond to my manipulations.   I layer, crumple, mold, rip, wet, soak, undo, strip, mark, and assemble them.   The pieces carry and hold the evidence of what was done to them, reflecting the story of their experience.  Similarly, we carry the effects of our experiences and those of our parents and their parents and so on.  We become a reflection of how we have been impacted by the past events and circumstances of our surroundings, our families, our histories, and how our present may still be affected by them.  

Selected images:








No comments:

Post a Comment