Monday, February 6, 2017

Tulips in Winter 2015

It began on a cold, blustery afternoon, a vase of yellow tulips contrasting the grey winter landscape outside my window.  Wanting to pass the time I decided to experiment.
First I played with layers of loose patches of watercolour on raw canvas, then I added blind contour graphite drawings on top. There was an immediacy to the process. No planning, no thinking, just painting and drawing freely without constraint.
Then I decided to use a simplified technique with  miniature illustrations on watercolour paper scraps I had been hanging on to for years. Some are as small as 1.5 x 1.5 inches. What joy!
Working on these made the winter months fly by and brought me an abundance of pleasure.

Selected images:















No comments:

Post a Comment